Friday, January 2, 2015

Trying Something New: A Happiness Journal for 2015!

Hello and Happy 2015 to those who have stumbled on my first blog post of this year! Aka my first blog post in over 2 months...

So I found myself not knowing what to do with "blogging" since I had no "ongoing adventures" to write about after my placement abroad in Hong Kong and checking off my goal of running my first half-marathon. But I do like to write! I find it both calming and stimulating at the same time. Just like running, writing helps me think and allows me think harder about the things that are in "the back of my mind" in the everyday routine. The latter is probably what deterred me from blogging when I felt like I had nothing worth writing about. Since I'm a slow thinker, that makes me a slow writer as well. *sigh* But I digress... I'm writing now and this will be a Happy post!

Maybe this will be a year of shiny new things for this blog!


A good friend gave me Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project for my birthday last year (*gasp* It was already last year!). It's a book that I've seen at the book store and had been interested in reading, so I was happy that I finally have no excuse about not getting around to it, since it is now so accessible to me. The book is split up into months, where the author sets a different goal for herself each month and keeps track of her progress. Please excuse me for my poor description of the book, but I'm literally only on the first few pages of the first chapter.

I thought that I could use my journey of reading The Happiness Project to keep up a blogging routine. After I finish reading a chapter, I will jot down some thoughts. It won't be my own full fledged Happiness Project per se (that sounds too intimidating to be honest), but I will think of it as My Happiness Journal. It won't be a book review, but a way for me to track my thoughts from reading the book and my reflections (and perhaps actions that I decide to take in my life) from reading it! I have no idea if this Happiness Journal will stick, but it's something new that I want to try this year for my blog. (Full disclosure: I have a habit of starting to keep written journals while being away from home and the key word here is that I start them... )

Still have no real direction for my blog, but at least this project fits the Name of my blog!

I'll end this post a song! What? Something else that's new? TWO new things in one post?! I am outdoing myself! It's a song by The Strumbella's that...
a) Always puts a smile on my face when I hear it.
b) Is actually quite fitting to this blog post and new years! XD
c) Gets bonus points for being a Canadian band. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment