Sunday, January 18, 2015

What does it mean to be an "Adult"?

As I find myself trying to survive through the swamps of "post-graduate-job-hunting-while-living-back-home-with-the-family" life, the question of whether or not I'm now an "adult" comes to mind. Sure I'm an adult in legal terms. Besides that though, do I feel like one? As much as I like to think that I've become more independent since moving out for 2 years, and having traveled and lived alone in a different country, the truth is: I don't feel like a full fledged Adult yet. But don't go calling me a kid.

See, as the eldest sibling in my family, I like to think I've always been more matured faster than them. Mentally, that is. I took on many responsibilities before them, had to pave the way for the young-ins and the pressure of needing to set the best example and take care of them definitely made me "grow up" earlier. But lately I've been thinking that despite the "maturity spurt" that naturally came from being the oldest, I may be plateauing in this "growth towards becoming an adult" since being back home with my parents. Although the independence that came with moving out for school hasn't disappeared, there has been a tendency for me to fall back into the patterns set in my childhood. I hope I'm not the only one who lives with their parents after finishing school who feels this way! 

This whole experience has got me thinking: What does it really mean to be an Adult? For starters, I lack the standard gear that adults possess: a stable income and my own place to live. I know these are responsibilities that I've been blessed to not have to worry about yet since I'm not living on my own. But what are some of the non-material qualities that make someone an "adult"? Having lived with two for most of my life, worked with and become friends with some of these "adults", I have some ideas.

So far on this blog, I've written on a variety of topics, including school, placements, running, the occasional rant about life and more recently started My Happiness Journal. I think my struggle to narrow this blog towards one topic reflects my view of life. I don't see myself has being just an OT and life is more than just my running hobby. I appreciate my many life roles and I believe that it's all one big work-life balancing act!

In line with that thinking, I wanted to use this space to jot down some of the thoughts that have been flipping around in the old noodle whilst balancing my aspirations for adulthood and the realities of this limbo/transition phase. I keep thinking: I'm almost there right? Find a good job and I'll be an adult? But this "almost adult" has more logistics to figure out and think through.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment