Sunday, October 26, 2014

Run a Half-Marathon: CHECK!

Personal goal of completing a half-marathon before my Masters graduation: DONE!

I'm writing this a week after the actual race day and I'm still feeling the runner's high from finishing my first half-marathon. :) I've been looking up races, checking out prices and thinking about my 2015 running goals. This is completely different from my approach to running this past year, where races were only semi-planned/something that I stumbled upon. But before I run off on a tangent (!!), I'll do a mini recap of my feelings on this race (my first "big city" race experience).
Race day outfit!
Besides being in Hong Kong this past summer, most of my racing experience has been in Kingston, where I spent most of my last 2 years. Although this was my first race in a big city, I am no stranger to Toronto's streets because of my undergrad years spent downtown. But seeing a sea of thousands of runners clad in multicoloured outfits ahead of me while we ran on the open road that was Lakeshore Blvd --that was a first! And man, it was suhweeeet!!!

What was really awesome were all the smiling faces of both the volunteers, spectators and performers, along with their funny and encouraging signs. =) This race would not have been the same without them. It was my first time in a race with so many spectators and volunteers! One of them shouted out my name near the end and that was very encouraging since I was so drained at that point. Lots of water and gatorade stations too! I felt a positive vibe amongst runners and the crowds all throughout the race.

Just like they advertise it, the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon is a "Flat, Fast and Festive" race. A great first half-marathon experience for me. =) For those of you interested, here's a run-down (pun anyone?) of what my race day was like between my ears...

Pre-race jitters/anxieties:
  • Smooth traffic. Good, we're going to be on time. No, early. We're going to be early. Hey, looks like there are other runners coming down for the race. Mental high five y'all!
  • No cramps. Nothing's going to cramp up.
  • It's going to be feeling like -2 degrees Celsius, but I can go sleeveless. I'm gonna heat up, so a t-shirt will be fine right? We'll see how I feel...
Approaching the race starting area:
  • Oooo. It's chilly! That wind is a cold one! What are people wearing? So many people in long sleeves man! What? Why? I want to stick with my t-shirt plan 'cause I know I'm gonna heat up! Aw man, why didn't I get myself some arm warmers... 
  • Man, that's quite a lot of porta-potties, but also just as many runners waiting...
  • Where am I going to change?
5 minutes before my corral time:
  • Why do I suddenly need to pee? I had one sip of water on the bus. One sip!
  • Need to bodyglide my toes, need to bodyglide my feet!
In my corral:
  • Finally found my section! My people! Mental high-fives y'all!
  • Ok, so I barely stretched. But I jogged over here from the baggage area, so that counts right? No. Let's be honest, it doesn't. Hmmm... Can I stretch here? Don't be weird... You'll be ok.
  • Probably should have really stretched though...
While running the 21.1k:

1k: 1 down, 20 to go!

2.5k: Oh water station! That's early... Do I need it? Oh, why not? Lemme just grab this... What, Gatorade? Is it too early for this? Well, gotta drink up now. And then throw it on the ground (gently. Haha)!

5k: I'm feeling the downhill baby! Should I go faster? I feel like I can go faster... No, stick with this pace.

9k: Maybe I shouldn't have had the gatorade from those early water stations... Oh! Porta-potties! Do I dare? No. I don't need to go. It's all in my head.

10k: Wait, it took me 1:10:xx to do 10K? I am going pretty slow... Should I go faster now? Nah, stick with this pace for a little bit. I'm feeling good so far.

15k: I'm feeling those blisters now... But those bandages did their job for 15k. Not bad.

16k: Only 5k left. Should be easy right? Just 5K... Still feeling good. I can pick up the pace a bit!

18k: Oh man, these Ks are getting longer now. But only 2 K left so I should be pushing harder!

19k: Bye bye marathoners. Ok, which side do I run on for the half? The right side? NO! I do Not want to run the full marathon today... Back to the left now. Phew! And I'm pretty sure my switching in and out confused that other runner... Run away!

20k: Up Bay Street! Finally!!!!!! Woah, this slight hill is gonna kill.

Last 900m: Whose idea was it to put an uphill portion right at the END of this otherwise Flat race?

Last 500m: That volunteer just shouted my name!!!! THANKS MAN!!!!

Last 100m: Almost there! Gotta give it my all!!!

After crossing the finish line: My arms are frozen... And I DID IT!!!!!!!

My first running race medal!
Finishing time: 2:00:40.

I am happy with my time, since my goal was to beat 2:03 (which was last year's half-marathon average for this course. A pretty arbitrary way to choose a goal time, I know. Shows how new I am to this being "a runner" thing.) I feel like there are more half-marathons in me and this will be my personal time to beat. =)

And last but not least!! I was able to raise $324 for Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital in Toronto as part of the Scotiabank Charity Challenge. I couldn't have done it without the generous support of friends and family both near and far. Thanks for helping me give back to an organization that is doing such innovative work for children with disability and their families. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment