Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Dear My Saucony Hurricane 14s

Clockwise from top left: Grouse Grind (Vancouver, BC), STWM Half Marathon (Toronto, ON), R2EP 10K (Kingston, ON), Seongsang Ilchulbong (Jeju Island, South Korea), Barrie Waterfront Half Marathon (Barrie, ON), Guide running in Hong Kong, Goodlife Toronto Marathon -Hot Potatoes relay team, Sporting Life 10K (Toronto, ON).
Center: My Saucony Hurricane 14s. =)
It was hard to find photos that actually showed my shoes. XP
Dear My Saucony Hurricane 14s,

We met in late July 2013 and for nearly 2 years, you've been supporting me along every step of my journey in learning to run. (Beware, more puns comin' your way!)

We've experienced so many firsts (in both running and life) together:
  • My first time dragon-boating, where I got to be the drummer!
  • My first 10K in Kingston, after which I knew that I wanted to keep running in my life.
  • My first trip abroad alone, where we walked all over Hong Kong together.
  • My first race as a guide runner in Hong Kong, where we kept running despite blisters.
  • My first half marathon, where I achieved my goal of racing this distance before my 24th birthday.
  • My first marathon with a relay team, where I met a bunch of enthusiastic soles. =)
We've been a great team for so many races, including:
  • 4 10Ks,
  • 2 half marathons,
  • and many more kilometers of training at the gym and out on the roads
We've also done quite a bit of travelling together (not just running!), leaving footprints all over:
  • Kingston
  • Ottawa
  • Hong Kong
  • Korea
  • Japan
  • Vancouver (conquered the Grouse Grind!)
  • Newmarket
  • Toronto
  • Barrie
You've taught me:
  • To embrace the first few groggy kilometers of a morning run, because I always feel better at the other end.
  • How it's important to listen to your body (namely my feet!)
  • That I'm never alone and I am the runner I am today only because of the amazing, generous, passionate and humble people whom I've been blessed to have crossed paths with.
  • That I need to stretch out my hamstrings, 'cause I still can't touch you whether I'm standing or sitting. XP
  • How to fly, which is the feeling I get when I've got nothing on my mind but the steps I'm taking when I'm running with you.
  • That what I love even more than pockets, are Secret pockets (like yours on your tongue)!
  • That I'm a strong woman who is willing to challenge herself because I can achieve goals when I set my mind to it!
  • When a race/life gets hard, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Don't stop, just keep moving. This too shall pass.
  • That even when I'm not athletic/coordinated, struggled in and disliked gym as a student, and never considered myself "fit": I'm now a Runner.
We've had a good run and although you'll be retiring from racing, I'll still see you for gym dates and walking adventures. Thank you, for being my first pair of running shoes and a great friend.

Your Runner,
--Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment