Thursday, September 11, 2014

I'm Running My First Half-Marathon as a Charity Run!

2 month placement abroad, followed by a month long family vacation and I can truthfully say that I need to get back to the "world of the living". The amount of relaxing this summer was much appreciated, and I am now ready to find a new sense of direction. Those who know me well will know that I always like to be working towards a goal of some form. I can't stand to be unoccupied! Without classes (bye bye student life!) and still on the hunt for a job means that I'm in a limbo. My brain has needed the past month to recuperate and readjust to this new state of affairs, since it's something I've never experienced. Now I'm slowly regaining the motivation to move onto starting the next chapter of my life, starting with tackling some personal goals.

Before flying off on vacation, I buckled down and registered to run my first half-marathon. I did this so that I would not give myself any excuses to not do it and because I like signing up for things early so that I get to feel all the anticipation that comes with racing (oh, and because of early bird fees!). In fact, this half-marathon was on my mind for much of my vacation. As my running shoes walked around the other side of the world/country with me, my mind was gearing up for this new long distance that I've challenged myself with.

This October, I will be committing to my personal goal of running a half-marathon before my Masters degree graduation/24th birthday. I am also chosen to participate in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge by fundraising for Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital in Toronto. =) Since I like to run, why not run for a cause I believe in?

Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation
I've worked there for 2 summers and I know that not only is their heart in the right place, but their research and clinical work is all about improving the quality of life of children with disabilities and their families. Working with children with disabilities is something that I'm passionate about and I'm very happy to be running 21.1km on October 19, in support of Holland Bloorview's work, such as their No Limits Campaign. I hope you'll find the kindness in your heart to support them as well. 

I have set a goal of raising $500 and whether you can donate $5, $10 or $20 --every little bit counts!

YOU can be part of something BIG! 

No comments:

Post a Comment