Monday, May 26, 2014

Volunteering as a Guide Runner

"Running is Being. Running is Trying. Running is Falling. Running is Flying. Running is Dreaming." -E.T.

Felt like quoting a fellow colleague, classmate, past-housemate, friend and "bro". I agree with his words. Especially the "Falling" part. I see running as a constant series of falling and picking yourself back up --again and again. Once you learn to do it, there's no "try" in running, only Do. And with that, you can fly and dream...

I had decided before even starting my placement, that I would find time to volunteer as a guide runner. I literally typed in "guide runner in Hong Kong" and after a series of emails, got in touch with someone from the Fearless Dragon (猛龍隊) running group. I love to run, so why not learn to be a guide runner?

The Fearless Dragon (猛龍隊) running group meets every Wednesday evening at 7:30 at Hammer Hill Sports Ground by the Rainbow MTR station. I've tried to make it out as much as I can, but given my long hours at placement, I'm bound to miss/be late to some. I must say that when I do make it, running with this crowd has been the happiest 1-1.5 hours of my week!

Group photo with The Fearless Dragon (猛龍隊) on my first night running
w
ith them at Hammer Hill Sports Ground
From my experience so far, guide running is so much harder than running alone! That's for sure! I've always run on my own because I like to have "me time" and I've only ever thought of running as a personal activity. Guide running with someone who's completely blind means that the only method communication I have with them is through my voice and the rope that is held between us. I have to get used to running at a pace that is comfortable for the both of us, and synchronize my arm swing and steps so that the rope between us can effectively communicate any pulling or quick tugs I'm going to need to give. Besides the physical adjustment, I also need to learn to converse with a person while I run. This is something is very foreign to me since I don't run in groups much. Beyond being a good conversationalist, I need to be a good narrator of the surrounding events so that if anything happens, my partner will know!

The Fearless Dragon (猛龍隊) running group includes members with hearing loss or visual impairments. I have had the opportunity to run with someone who has low vision (not completely blind) and another who is completely visually impaired. I have soooo much to learn from them --not only about running, but about Life! Everyone in the group is so much more experienced in running than I am, having full and half marathons under their belts already.

Dinner with members of The Fearless Dragon (猛龍隊) after running. 
Left to right: Galant Ng, Alsa Kwok, me, Kate Cheung, Kim Mok.

Their upcoming race is on June 8 and I hope to be a guide runner for someone, rather than just running the race by myself. It makes me so happy to find others who love to run and be able to enjoy this pasttime with them!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found time to volunteer!! good luck on the race next week :)

    ReplyDelete