Sunday, April 3, 2016

16 Runs with 16 Friends: March Update (Part 2 of 2)

This run took a month to plan, but we're so happy that it happened!

Run with Friend #7: Spadina / Casa Loma / Kensington Market
Date: March 26, my own "Fun Run with JP"
Temperature: -1C
Distance: 10K


As I waited inside the Tim Hortons at the Southwest corner of University Ave and Dundas St W., I saw the reflection of Jean-Paul (aka JP of #JPsTeam)'s neon vest in the bus shelter. I step out into the brisk Sunday morning feeling pumped! JP sees me and waves. When he reaches me, some of the first words out of JP's mouth were to ask if I was warm enough and I think that simply shows how JP is a very caring person. I stuttered something in response, but if he noticed my awkwardness, he certainly didn't show it.

Wait. Let's do a quick rewind. Last month, I wrote about how I met JP and why I've decided to be a part of #JPsTeam for my upcoming Ottawa Half Marathon in May. But how did I find myself running 10K with Jean-Paul Bedard on this fateful Saturday morning? Well that's simple. I asked him! And he said yes. His exact words were: "Wow! And Yes!!! Let's make this run happen. What a beautiful idea!" We started coordinating dates right away and that's how we found ourselves meeting up on a Saturday morning in downtown Toronto, outside a Tims.

I felt very comfortable running alongside JP for our 10K. There was no judgement about my slow pace or my inability to think of the "right" questions to ask. JP said that as long as we try our best to be authentic and present with others, the rest will come naturally. Funny thing is, I think that's exactly what happened during our run. I thought there would be more awkwardness from me because I still wasn't 100% sold on my own idea of asking strangers to run with me. There have definitely been moments prior to this run where I thought: "Come on Gillian! People are busy running with people they know. Why would they want to run with you?!" But JP's words eased my anxieties a bit and the pauses in our conversation were comfortable ones. I didn't force myself to ask questions, I listened to the flow of our conversation, remained present with JP and simply enjoyed the run.

JP told me about how he tries his hardest to ensure that his running and training needs don't conflict with those of his family. Running may have changed his life for the better, but he does not discount the people (especially his wife and family) who have given him unconditional support throughout his recovery. He touched on how people may regard him as being "brave" or "amazing" but he would not be able to live his lifestyle as an elite athlete and achieve his goals in running and other areas in life, without the support of his wife. Even though I haven't known JP long at all, I sincerely think he is one of the most humble people I've met.

During our run, I shared a bit about how my last year was tough for me because of a lot of self-imposed stress. Unknowingly, this stress impacted my running. Specifically, it twisted the purpose behind my running. What had started as something to help me de-stress had transformed into a stressor. JP recently wrote something for irun.ca that perfectly describes how I feel about running and why I have different running goals this year:
"...running in its purest form is nothing more than putting one foot in front of the other, and more importantly, any time I attempt to complicate that in any way, I'm setting myself up for wave after wave of negative self-talk" --JP
I could not have said that better myself. Putting one foot in front of the other makes me happy and my journey through these 16 runs keeps reminding me of this.

Before we parted, I made a comment about how I'm glad we connected even though we couldn't be more different. JP shrugs this off by saying, you mean Barrie and Toronto? JP hadn't noticed any of our differences but an hour ago, the following facts seemed to stand out to me: Born and raised Torontonian vs. from the suburbs, ultramarathon veteran vs. newbie runner, elite athlete vs. girl who hated gym as a kid, a brave advocate vs. someone trying to be more brave/find out what it means to be brave this year.

An hour later, some new facts came to light and it seems like we've got more in common than I thought:
  • We are both learning to ask for what we want in life and being authentic about the possibilities that come from asking others for help/collaborate. People need people!
  • We love hills (?)! We tackled the Casa Loma steps enthusiastically that morning!
  • We like to dream big. My goal may be to have 16 runs with 16 friends this year, but I'm definitely aiming to run with more than 16 people. JP didn't know that starting JP's Team 2 months ago would snowball into the running community that it is turning out to be for some. And he's got big plans for the fall! 
  • We both don't understand runners who run with belts loaded up with water bottles. Isn't it uncomfortable? Isn't that what the water stations at race for?
  • We're both morning runners.
  • We both love hugs!
  • And obviously, we both Love to run. :)
I hope to raise $500 by May 29 2016 (date of Ottawa Half Marathon) for the Gatehouse, a registered non-profit in Toronto. Their mission is to provide support, resources and advocacy on behalf of those impacted by childhood sexual abuse. Please support me and JP's Team in changing the dialogue around childhood sexual abuse, while helping survivors both big and small, by donating HERE! Every little bit counts!

7 runs down and 9 more to go! Will I be able to run with more than 16 people? Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this & feel like we are very similar in our running goals to love the run! I hope Ottawa goes amazingly for you! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete