Monday, March 9, 2015

Almost an Adult: Do what you love, not just what you're good at.


I've never thought of myself as an athlete, yet I run.

I don't always like to be the leader, but I often find myself taking the initiative to plan get-togethers.

I don't have the greatest voice that's waiting to be discovered, but I sing to my heart's content whenever possible (and appropriate...).

I may not be good at any of those things, but I've learned that I can do things simply because I enjoy it. :)

Throughout my childhood and years of being a student, people have told me what things I'm good at. Don't get me wrong! I think our parents, teachers, TAs and even fellow peers have helpful intentions when they point out what they think you're good at, so you can recognize your strengths. But I've come to realize that it's not often in life that we have the opportunity to talk about what we're enjoy doing in our lives. It's simply not a common question to ask about someone's passions. Imagine being at a party, introducing yourself to a group and then being asked: "What do you do that makes you happy?" That's not typically what happens right?

The idea of "doing what you love" didn't stick out to me because of school, any professor or mentor in particular. Maybe somebody in my life said it to me at one time or another, but I never thought too much of this idea until one time a friend asked me: Why do you skate?

The question came up while we were skating and talking about things that we learned to do as children, in school etc... I explained how I had only skated during class trips when I was in elementary school, Nobody in my family skates or even likes skating. But as I grew older, whenever an opportunity to skate has come up, I'd find myself there.

Let me first clarify that I am not good at skating. Not by any standards. I spend much of the time pushing off with my right foot, and therefore feel most comfortable going in an anticlockwise direction. I also use my arms a lot to help myself balance since I favour using my right leg. I can not stop properly. I simply guess-timate how much further I need to glide and push off accordingly, hoping to slow down at the right place, at the right time. I'm sure I get weird looks from children who whiz by me or parents teaching their children the basics. But I don't care because as I skate with all of these flaws, I have a great time. Every time!

It was over a year ago that I made a trip to Value Village and found a pair of skates for $10. They fit me and looked brand new, as if someone had purchased the wrong size but couldn't return them. They have been one of my best purchases ever. Since owning a pair of skates, I ask people to go skating with me, and jump at invitations to go! My memories of times spent skating were always happy and fun! When there's fresh ice, I'm feel like I'm flying in heaven. ^_^

I remember feeling proud of myself for being able to come up with an eloquent answer to my friend's question. I told her: I discovered skating to be one of the things that I thoroughly enjoy even though I am not good at it. Do I want to get better? Sure, that'd be nice. But that's not the reason I lace up to get on the rink when I get the chance. I do it because I just love it. And I want to keep doing it as a reminder to myself that you don't have to be good at everything and should do things that make you feel happy.

(Ok. That was probably not my exact answer, but something along the lines of that. XP)

********** *********

That talk with my friend happened more than a year ago and since graduating, it's been hard to keep this mentality as I see myself preparing to move into adulthood. Society pushes us to focus on being productive and achieving certain outcomes. We should be doing things for an end product, rather than an end meaning. As someone who is job hunting, I'm definitely feeling the stress of maintaining a certain level of happiness in my life. Not everyone understands or is supportive.

But you know what? Whether it be skating, running or any of the things that make me happy --I'm up for the challenge of keeping these things in my life! I will keep doing things that I love regardless of my ability in them. I will do these things for me, not for others! ^_^ So bring it on adulthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment